Creating controversy - A short story analysis
Warning- Contains spoilers.
Please do not read this until you have looked at the story
A Business Affair
When I wrote A Business Affair, I wanted to create a short story that was controversial. It might have been a bit of a cliché, but the whole point of the exercise was to get my readers thinking.
I welcomed feedback and comments and the main points were:-
- Megan must be a “loose woman” to carry on the way she did - (Is this a sexist comment)?
- how could Andrew do this to his wife Fiona?
- the relationship is immoral and should stop immediately
Megan and Andrew were complete strangers, the first time they met was at the job interview in Andrews office. The attraction between them was evident from the start and being a short story, I did not have the luxury of developing their relationship over several chapters.
I chose to reveal Andrew’s thoughts, but did not dwell on hers. It was made obvious that she liked what she saw and was aware of the chemistry that existed between them. She hesitated when during the interview he suddenly asked her to join him for lunch, continue their discussion in a pub. She did not expect that, but didn’t want to annoy him by declining. She needed that job.
Andrew had never done anything like this before, there was nothing in the story to suggest that he was a habitual womaniser. Up until that point, his relationship with his wife Fiona was good. He had thoughts of taking her out for a romantic meal to celebrate their wedding anniversary, but all this changed when he met Megan. That special bond that exists between brother and sister was evident here, but Megan and Andrew had no idea they were siblings. They misinterpreted these feelings and the result could have been devastating.
The hammer blow came when they both discovered the truth.
What would happen next?
- would their relationship end there?
- would it develop into something else?
- would Megan be able to face Andrew’s wife Fiona? She was after all her sister-in-law
- could they continue to work together?
- would the shock of discovering the truth strengthen or destroy their relationship?
Thank you to all those who contributed thoughts and feedback. Please continue to do so as your points of view are both valuable and welcome.